Hello, Ionis here.
Bioware released information about next major content patch – Return of the Gree.
There info, as always, are little sketchy at best, but there are some things worth digging teeth into. (pardon the blunt copy/paste – you can read whole announcement here: 1.7 Return of the Gree)
1. New recurring event: Relics of the Gree
- Explore Ilum’s contested area in the Western Ice Shelf to uncover the mysterious purpose of the Gray Secant, an enormous ancient Gree starship.
- Get ready to face a powerful opponent that awaits you at the center of this ancient vessel.
- Earn exclusive Gree technology, including highly-advanced weapon and armor!
- Look for opportunities to join this recurring event throughout the rest of the year. More details to come!
Can anyone smell Wintergrasp?
For those non-WoW players. Wintergrasp was a full-PvP (if you enter, you’re flagged for PvP automatically) area in Wrath of the Lich King where factions fought for control over a castle in battles that occurred every few hours. Winning side got access to the castle daily quests and a small raid encounter.
Call me pattern-seeking son of a hutt, but this sounds so bloody similar to WG idea… And you know what? That’s great. Everything is better than the current Ilum PvP mistake-of-a-zone. And the more content there is for level 50 people the better.
2. New System: Galactic Reputation
- Check out an all new exciting way to progress your character.
- Advance through six ranks of increasing prestige: “Outsider”, “Newcomer”, “Friend”, “Hero”, “Champion”, and “Legend”.
- Earn Reputation Points by completing missions for allies such as the Gree and the Voss, or for military divisions within the Republic and the Empire.
- Galactic Reputation is tied to your character’s Legacy, so enjoy earned Reputation Points and ranks across all characters in your Legacy!
Again.. smells like WoW-feature again. Reputation was a grindy little side-step from the gearing progress, where by doing daily quests for different factions you earned reputation.
High reputation gave you access to titles, pets, mounts and some entry-level PvE gear.
My personal take on this is a little meh’. I remember reputations as annoying, boring and stiff feature. I was glad TOR didn’t had it at launch.
We’ll see how they solve the repeatability of those quests – but for now all I smell is some long hours spend grinding rep… thank goodness for the Legacy-wide feature here. It might be the thing that will save the whole concept.
Gree are one of the oldest and most advanced civilizations that have ever inhabited the galaxy. Their golden age came centuries before birth of the Republic – so long before all events we know from TOR or the movies. They, along younger races like Rakata, between others, were servant races to the Architects/Celestials.
In TOR era, Gree are known as enigmatic, brilliant and isolationist species. You might remember their droids from the questchain on Coruscant where you were playing a plumber fixing their pipes across the planet.